Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Elijah's Surgery


On Monday we took my 9 month old son, Elijah to have surgery. He was born with six fingers on his right hand, actually he has two thumbs. Elijah was 4 days old before we even noticed that he had a 6th digit as they call it. He keeps the thumbs tucked under so its not even noticable. We had to have the extra one removed because he couldn't use either one with the way they are. So the doctors had to remove the one and then they might have to reconstruct the real thumb so that he'll be able to use it. On Sunday, the day before his surgery he started pulling the extra thumb away from the other one, so that he could suck on the one that they were going to take off. When we first started taking him to the doctor for this, we asked the doctor what caused him to be born with a 6th digit and they said it was just a birth defect and its quite normal now days. I also found out that the birth control I was on can cause things like this to happen. I have joined a law suit against the birth control company. Elijah never once acted like the extra thumb ever bothered him, but Kirk and I wanted him to have normal use of his thumbs. Elijah also had to have tubes put in his ears. He started getting ear infections when he was about 3 months old and nothing would help him get rid of them. So they put tubes in his ears and he did good for about the first month and then he came down with another ear infection. That's not all for this little man, he also has Asthma. Elijah has so many health problems at such an early age. I just ask that everyone keep my little man in your prayers that God give him a strong and healthier life.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I will keep Elijah and your family in my prayers. I know whats it like to have a little one with problems. I have an 11 month old daughter that has serious health problems also, she has severe asthma and has been in the hospital 3 times all ready, the latest just last week. Keep your head up, it will be ok! I will be checking back to see how the surgery goes.

We sound alot alike, I also have 4 kiddos!

take care,
Stacie